14 Considerations When Choosing Your School Transport Provider
As a school, college or similar, it’s imperative to organise your school transport and ensure that they meet the highest safety standards for the peace of mind of your school, pupils and their parents.
All reputable travel companies that wish to transport children or minors are required to meet stringent standards for health and safety.
You should ensure the following:
- A first aider (with a portable first aid kit) is in attendance on any school trip with a large number of children.
- We recommend that teachers ensure that parents have authorised teachers to administer first aid and provide anaesthetic in case of emergency. (Stanley Travel coaches are all supplied with first aid kits)
- The head teacher’s full approval must be given for any visit.
- Make sure that parents have all the information about the trip and provide consent for their child.
- Ensure that staff are relevantly qualified.
- Create and maintain a full passenger listing – log details of passengers before and during the trip.
- Keep a log of emergency numbers at all times.
- Log travel timings.
- Make sure the special needs of pupils are noted.
- Ensure there is the correct ratio of staff to pupils.
- Maintain the discipline of children throughout the trip.
- Ensure that safety rules for coach travel are adhered to, including seat belt use.
- Check the details of outside agencies.
- You must log the time of arrival at your final destination with your school, and a copy prepared to carry with you during the trip.
Find out more about our school transport by downloading our free school pack.
Choosing Stanley Travel as your school transport provider
All of our drivers are CRB checked to an enhanced level and their driving licences are independently verified every three months – at least.
We have 24 hours contingency plans in place in the rare event of a breakdown or accident and our vehicles undergo rigorous testing. Stanley Travel are independently audited by CoachMarque and continue to invest in new vehicles, staff and technologies to only reiterate our focus on health and safety. We are also part of the Guild of British Coach Operators – find out more here.
- Don’t hesitate to contact our General Office on (01207) 237 424, for more information on any of our procedures or system of care when it comes to school/college/university transport.